Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Retro Knitting For The Home

I've recently taken up knitting. After finishing my first project, a scarf, I found this free knitting pattern online. It's a vintage pattern for an afghan with a poodle design. The pattern is from the Columbia-Minerva Afghan Book, published in 1960. As I browsed the internet for vintage patterns, I wondered why I hadn't taken up knitting sooner. There are so many vintage patterns that can be found for free, or very inexpensively at sites like Etsy and Ebay.
The local craft store where I bought the yarn didn't have the 9 skeins of grey yarn I needed for this afghan, so I chose taupe for the background color and pink for the poodles. I may change the poodle color to black or cream, but for now it's pink. The poodles' collars and eyes will be rhinestones. 
Here's my progress, so far. I've finished 2 squares and only have 61 more to go.    
Since I'm new to this hobby, I'm still pretty slow. This project is going to take months to finish.

3 comments:

Straight Talking Mama! said...

Great pattern, good luck with it!

Dana@Mid2Mod said...

What a cute pattern. I can't wait to see how it turns out. My mother knitted beautifully, and I tried to learn, but it quickly became the family joke. I admire those of you who can do beautiful handwork.

Zhivago said...

I am so excited to see you blogging again. I love that you have taken up knitting. You did such a great job on the scarf.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails