Friday, September 3, 2010

Perry Mason's Midcentury Modern Office

I've been slowly working my way through Perry Mason on DVD. Of the nine seasons produced, seasons 1 through 4 and part of season 5 have been released. I used to watch this show in reruns in the '80s, but I hadn't seen the show since. I forgot how cool it was.


Perry Mason has the perfect midcentury modern offiice. Here's Raymond Burr as Perry Mason in his office. Look at the furniture in the background. The ceiling fixture looks like it might have been manufactured by Arteluce. I don't have any idea about the manufacturer of the dining table and chairs. Maybe someone can help identify it.
The walls in Perry Mason's office have strange paneling. I don't know what to think of it, but I love the print on the wall.
On the wall behind his desk, he has some great '50s wall sconces. Too bad the show was filmed in black and white. It would be nice to see what color the sconces are. They are definitely two different colors. He has the coolest light fixtures!
The couch in his office is long and angular. It's so '50s. The show began in 1957, and all of these images are from the first season. I'll have to keep watching to see if his office changes in later seasons. The midcentury modern interiors don't provide all of the eye candy for the show. There is also a lot of great fashions and hairstyles, which range from everyday working people to movie stars. The show is worth watching for the midcentury styles alone.
Here's one more fun thing I noticed whole watching the show. In this scene, Perry and his secretary, Della, visit a Hollywood agency. In the background, there's a photo of Jayne Mansfield on the wall.



9 comments:

Michelle said...

I believe that the paneling is Pecky Cypress. We have it in our home's dining room area. It was there when we bought the house. It is very gnarled and weathered looking... it has loads of character!

Sassy Lassies Vintage Life said...

I could hear the opening theme music in my head as I read this post. My mom used to watch this in re-runs during the 1960's and I watched along with her. I can't remember what time of day it was but it seems it was sometime in the afternoon or early evening. I loved how he always figured it out in the end. I need to watch these myself. Thanks for the heads up.

Jamie said...

He has nice office plants. Bet they are plastic.

aka John Quincy Adams (Founder of this blog) said...

If I don't miss my guess, the "sconces" over the floating cabinet behind Perry's desk are actually pendant lamps hanging from the ceiling. Way cool! And yes, the paneling is pecky cypress.

Thanks for the tip on the Artelier lamp. I've seen many similar lamps from that period but none that are exactly like that one. I watch the DVD's with great attention to the details as well.

templerman said...

templerman
This is great! I love the site and the subject. I wonder if anyone remembers the large ceramic tile tray that was on the table in some of the episodes. It was about 18 to 20 inches in diameter, and no more than two inches high. I have longed to find a picture, or any information about it.
It was similar to ceramic tile ashtray kits I made as a kid. The one in the show had a dark metal bottom and the tiles looked to have a mosaic pattern. Anyone who knows anything about it please email me.
William York
eocsor01@consolidated.net

templerman said...

templerman
This is great! I love the site and the subject. I wonder if anyone remembers the large tile tray that was on the table in some of the episodes. It was about 18 to 20 inches in diameter and perhaps no more than two inches high. I have longed to find a picture, or any information about it.
It was similar to ceramic tile ashtray kits I made as a kid. The one in the show had a dark metal bottom and the tiles looked to have a mosaic pattern. Any information would be most appreciated.

Evji108 said...

I doubt that the plants were plastic. At the time, artificial plant manufacturing technology was very bad and they looked totally fake. These days they look real, unless you touch them.

J P Rufus said...

The fish painting behind Perry's desk.
The Case of the Purple Woman. Episode 155 1958. A character walks into Mason's office and stars the painting is by Paul Delay. Wondering if this is fact or fiction.

Joe Bafflitz said...

Does anybody know what the 2 round things are in the bottom of the window? You can see one of them in the top picture. They look like speaker woofers.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails