Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Midcentury Madness

A lot of people ask me how I got into collecting vintage and mid-century modern stuff, or how long I have been collecting. That is really hard question for me to answer because I have been interested in the 1950s and 1960s for almost as long as I can remember. I always liked my mom's Barbies and paperdolls better than my own, which isn't surprising considering the difference in quality. Reruns of shows like The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis and The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet were some of my favorites. Then Nick at Night came along and I became hooked on The Monkees, The Patty Duke Show, The Ann Sothern Show, The Donna Reed Show, and Laugh-In.
When I was a kid, I went with my family to the flea market every Saturday morning. One day, I saw an album by Bobby Rydell. I recognized him as Hugo Peabody from his role in Bye, Bye, Birdie, which was my favorite movie. I bought the record and started collecting old records by the stars of the T.V. shows and movies that I liked so much. Ricky Nelson, Bobby Rydell, and The Monkees were my favorites. I also looked for and collected movie star magazines with teen idols like Fabian, Annette Funicello, Ricky Nelson, and Tuesday Weld on the covers. The magazines in the photo are the ones I bought at that time.


So, that's how it all started. It expanded from there and now I'm living in my dream house, a 1955 modern ranch.


Please leave a comment if you'd like, and tell us about an item that started a collection for you, or how you became interested in mid-century modernism. 

1 comment:

Mick said...

My Mom and Dad's records got me started, they bought my a player when I was about 5 and id just play their records over and over. The I fell in love with the big movie musicals of then, and the cars and music and 1 thing led to another and now here I am! haha

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails