Monday, September 13, 2010

Frankoma Trivets

My grandma gave me these black trivets when I was 11 years old. She thought I should have them because they were from the '50s. It seems strange for a little girl to have her own trivets, but I did. 


The trivets were manufactured by Frankoma, although they're not in the usual Frankoma style. They are solid black with a fleur-de-lis design. Frankoma pottery typically comes in earthy colors, like green, gold, and brown. Sometimes the red clay is allowed to show through the raised patterns, like the trivets in the photo below. 
Although I don't really collect Frankoma, I have several pieces of it. The Frankoma factory is located in Sapulpa, Oklahoma, which is a town west of Tulsa. I suppose it's fairly common for people in this area to have a few pieces of it, even if they don't collect Frankoma.

3 comments:

Vintage Christine said...

Wow! That black is gorgeous! I have several pieces of Frankoma in the regular colors and will be on the lookout for black. Frankoma's not too common in the deeper South but getting more so lately.

Mick said...

I have never seen those before! too cool, and how sweet of your Grand Mother :)

Melzaelf said...

Those trivets are delightful!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails