Thursday, August 19, 2010

Pillow Talk

When I was a child of 11 or 12, I bought this vintage Frankie Avalon pillow at the flea market. I've kept it all these years. I'm an '80s kid, so by the time I acquired it, it was already about 30 years old. Now, it fits in perfectly with our guest bedroom, which we call the "Beach Party Room" because of the Beach Party movie poster on the wall. I've had the Beach Party poster for about as long as I've had the Frankie Avalon pillow. When I was a kid, I also had a Fabian poster and a Great Balls of Fire movie poster. No New Kids on the Block for me!
More recently, I found another pillow to go with it. This one has Fabian on it. Yeah, I know he can't sing, and that he was a totally fabricated celebrity (pre-Monkees) fashioned to cash in on the Elvis craze.  Somehow, that only adds to his appeal to me. Besides, he actually recorded some pretty cool songs.

The Fabian pillow was an Ebay find. This is one of those times when I'm thankful for the internet. I don't think I would have ever found a Fabian pillow if I'd had to track one down in a local shop.
I've often wondered if there were other teen idol pillows in addition to Frankie and Fabian. Might there be a Bobby Rydell, Ricky Nelson, or Bobby Darin pillow out there somewhere? I came across an ad for these pillows in an old magazine that seems to answer my question. The ad showed only the Frankie Avalon and Fabian pillows, so these are probably the only ones ever made. In addition to the pillows, you could also send off for an area rug shaped like a record!
Just for fun, here's a photo of me with Fabian! 

12 comments:

moviemag46 said...

I am now the proud owner of a Frankie AND a Fabian pillow...I am sure I am the envy of every cool teen in town! I love them. I ought to send you...if you don't have them already...some old iron-on teen idol patches I have. I have an old store display of them, featuring Frankie, Fabian, Dick Clark, Bobby Darin, Jimmie Rodgers, Ricky Nelson and David Nelson, and there are MANY of each one. let me know if you want some...for free

Jamie said...

Fabian had some "FUN" songs. It is so much fun to sing along with Fabian Forte. "Turn Me Loose" especially.

Zootsuitmama said...

What a great room-I love it! The colors are so perfect! Show us more!! Zootsuitmama

Straight Talking Mama! said...

What an amazing guest room! Lucky guests :o)

Kitty said...

Oh gawd Fabian looks a bit rough these days, doesn't he? I had an Abba pillowcase from their 1978 (?) tour of Australia, which my mother still has. I was 7 at the time and made my mother take me to the concert and the pillowcase was my souvenir.

Jessica May said...

That room is titally fabulous and so are the 2 cushions! I can so relate to the whole 'born in the wrong era' thing - the first music I ever loved (aged around 7 maybe?) was Elvis and I was born in 78! I had an Elvis poster on my wall!

Heidi Ann said...

I LOVE your guest bedroom!

Darlene said...

OMG. Your guest room kicks my arse. I am so envious I could pop.

But how cool are your pillows and that pic of you with Fabian????

Good gravy.

Andi B. Goode said...

Hehe, those pillows are amazing!! I love Fabian, too. =D
-Andi x

MoonDoggie said...

Eeek! I covet that Beach Party poster sooo much and here you are brazenly flaunting it in front of me ;)
I've been watching all the beach party movies one by one and loving them.

http://moon-doggie.blogspot.com/2010/08/surfs-up.html

And erm... I'm kind of ashamed to admit but I don't know any Fabian songs - his name does sound familiar to me though.

Looks like a great room to stay in.

Jennie@Wedgwood Tulsa said...

Moveimag46,

That's such a nice offer! I don't have any of those patches, but I know exactly the ones you're talking about. They have drawings on them that look a lot like the pillows. I would have to pick Ricky Nelson. He is my all-time favorite teen idol.

vegan.vintagette said...

Your guest room looks amazing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails