Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Flea Market Finds

I found a lot of fun stuff at the flea market last Saturday and spent all of the money I had alotted myself to spend. One of the most exciting things I found was this large yellow platter with a pretty floral atomic starburst design from the 1950s. You might remember many posts ago, when I asked if anyone could identify this dinnerware pattern.  This yellow platter goes with a partial set I bought several years ago at Goodwill. I'd hoped that the seller would have some information to help me identify this dinnerware. She didn't, but she did say that she had a matching pitcher and teapot that she had already sold. The pitcher and teapot were black, but had the same transferred pattern. Now I know that this dinnerware was made in pink, aqua, yellow, and black.
I also got a couple of vintage McCall's magazines from the early '50s. I'm always on the lookout for old ladies' magazines and decorating magazines. They're great for getting midcentury modern decorating ideas that are the real deal. This is the November 1951 issue.
This one is from April 1953. In addition to some beautiful ranch homes and vintage interiors, it also has an instructional article on "How Doris Day Sets Her Bangs."
This Russel Wright lug handled bowl in coral will fit right in with the set I've been building.
Wanda Jackson's album called Reckless Love Affair was released in 1967. Some of Wanda's most violent songs are included on this album, like "The Box It Came In," and "This Gun Don't Care." You wouldn't expect the nice looking lady with the side-swept flip to sing about bringing home her philandering ex-husband in a satin lined box, or to cheerfully exclaim, "This gun don't care who it shoots."

This is Webb Pierce's first album, released in 1955. It's not in perfect shape, but it's playable and it only cost $1. The cover is pretty cool.

This set of fish wall pockets will be perfect for our grey bathroom, which has accents of pink and black. They're usually made of chalkware, but these are ceramic and they're also planters. The smallest fish is probably too small to hold a plant. Every mid-century ranch house needs to have either fish or mermaid wall plaques. 
After the flea market, I went to Goodwill, where I found this big set of melamine dinnerware. It was marked down half price. They're aqua, yellow, coral, and grey with speckles. One day, we'll have a vintage travel trailer and these are dishes that we'll use in it. 

6 comments:

Jamie said...

What do you mean "old lady" magazines? I really love all of your latest finds!

Leah said...

That is a beautiful platter!

Midcenturymadam said...

Love those dishes! The Russel Wright bowl is very nice. Great finds.

Straight Talking Mama! said...

wow what fabulous finds! I love the platter design, also love the fish, just done my bathroom & need more fish!

Vintage Christine said...

Love those fishies! And all that melamine, too. Looks like you had a very successful day.

Darlene said...

You're KILLING me with these finds. GEEZ! You give a poor gal like me the shakes... Oh to be independently wealthy. :)

Hello and happy evening to you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails