Friday, July 9, 2010

Vintage Poodle Collection



I've collected kitschy poodle stuff for a while and thought I'd show off my collection. Poodles were really popular in the fifties. You could buy almost anything with a poodle on it, it seems. Can you imagine going into a store today and buying a poodle wastebasket? People take themselves much too seriously these days.  
This trio of pink poodles in stylish cat-eye glasses came from Ebay. It's always an added bonus if the poodle is pink. 
I've had this poodle nightlight in my bedroom since I was a tiny girl. It was my mom's before that. There is an indention in the top of the hat to place a few drops of perfume. The heat from the lamp disperses the  smell of the perfume throughout the room. Of all the poodles in my collection, this is my favorite. 
This lonely poodle bookend is missing its other half. It was really inexpensive, so I bought it thinking I would find the mate someday.
Scary poodle bookends.
Their big yellow eyes make them look either terrified, or possessed.

This is a toaster cozy that I bought in an antique store in Claremore, Oklahoma. The fabric is quilted in gold metallic threads and the poodle's collar and toaster are decorated with rhinestones.
I don't remember where or when I bought this poodle ashtray. I'm not a smoker.
These salt and pepper shakers came from an antique store in Eureka Springs, Arkansas. 
This is a spice set with six shakers in the shape of poodle pups. Mama poodle's tail is supposed to serve as a handle for picking up the spice set. I broke two of the shakers when I lifted the spice set by the handle. The shakers came loose and fell to the floor. Luckily, I happened to have two spare poodle shakers, so I wasn't too upset. 
The white poodle brooch is vintage and the pink one is a reproduction made by 1929.
These spaghetti poodle figurines came from the flea market.
My brother found these tiny poodle figurines at a garage sale and gave them to me. 
This is another one that I can't remember buying. It's a pincushion that has a place to keep a thimble on the poodle's tail. The slot in the mouth once held a tape measure.
Aunt Martha iron-on transfers for craft projects. I got this pattern to make tea towels for the kitchen. 
Vintage poodle trashcan and tissue box.
Guest towel with poodle design. 
That's all of my poodle collection, so far!



11 comments:

TinyMatchboxStudio said...

Love your oodles of poodles...they are all so fun!! Your night light poodle from your mom is fabulous!!

Leilani said...

You have quite the collection, it's hard for me to pick a favorite-- I adore the spice set, that mama poodle has a brood! Do you go shopping in Arkansas often? I'm from Fayetteville... :)

Jennie@Wedgwood Tulsa said...

We used to Arkansas a lot for shopping and shows. Lately, we haven't been there. I hope we can take another trip to Arkansas, soon.

MoonDoggie said...

A plethora of poodles!
(someone already took oodles) ;)

Those bookends really are a tad scary, aren't they?

I think my favourite is the vintage brooch.

Straight Talking Mama! said...

What a great collection! It IS hard to pick a favourite but I do love the trashcan, yeah I know I'm weird!

Vintage Christine said...

Ha ha--I also had just one of those bookends and blogged about it and a very nice blogger sent me one, so now Jacques and Pierre are together--and hopefully someone will do the same for you. I love that spice set--I've never seen one like that, they are usually dogs with shot cups hanging off. We seem to have a shared passion for poodles as I have several just like yours, and of course covet the ones I don't have! Great stuff!!

Andi B. Goode said...

Oh, wow! What a great collection!
-Andi x

Zootsuitmama said...

Love the wastebasket and matching kleenex box! I remember lunch boxes like that too! I'll keep my eyes open. I saw an article about a lady who had a nail salon or beauty shop in her garage. It was all poodle stuff like this! Zootsuitmama

Retro Keith said...

very cool collection!!

Melzaelf said...

WOW I love your collection it is great! So much cuteness!

Eartha Kitsch said...

What a great collection! And yes, when DID people start taking things so seriously? I looooove that toaster cozy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails