Thursday, July 22, 2010

Retro Bedroom

I've shown photos of our pink bathroomliving room, and guest bedroom. Now, here are some photos of the master bedroom in our 1955 ranch house.
I painted the walls pink, but then felt like I was living inside a giant bottle of Pepto-Bismol. It must have been the wrong shade of pink. Immediately after painting the walls pink, I repainted them in this uninspired off-white color. 
I'm thinking about painting the walls pale yellow, but I'm also thinking that with all of the colors in the room already, off-white is probably better. 
I've been looking for matching lamps forever. The nightstands are Heywood Wakefield from the Sculptura line.
The built in spot for a television is an unusual feature. Especially considering how rare it was in 1955 for anyone to have more than one T.V. There is even a switch on the wall near the bed that turns the power to the television on/off. Of course, we don't ever use it because we have a modern T.V. with a remote. It would be cool to have a vintage television.
The chair is one of a pair that I bought long ago at an estate sale. Francie the poodle came from the flea market. The art prints are a thrift store find and the barkcloth curtains are made from reproduction fabric with a boomerang design. 
This built-in is one of the features that sold me on the house. Inside, it has slanted shelves for shoes.
I also love the built in vanity with the original UFO light fixture and formica countertop.

7 comments:

Straight Talking Mama! said...

wow what a fabulous bedroom and soooo much space! It looks lovely. I too have 3 walls of off white in my bedroom, one wall red, I hate off white but it seems to work for now for exactly the same reason as you, too many other colours in there

Atomic Mama said...

your house is a gem!

Mick said...

I just love your home more and more! That spot for the TV IS so cool! Theres a Mesusem im Johnson County Kansas called "The 1950's All Electric House" that was built as a show home in 1954. IN the living room there is a fake fire place (because it has electric heating) and above it is a painting of a ship in full sail, you flip a switch by the couch and the painting slides into the wall to reveal a 19" TV Set! You've done a Fantstic job restoring/decorating!

Rachelle said...

Oh, I love love love it!

Andi B. Goode said...

Ohhh, I just love your whole house. And those curtains are gorgeous.
-Andi x

Zootsuitmama said...

Very cool! I love the poodle stuff, it's the perfect accent!
zootsuitmama

Uncle Atom said...

I love that bedroom, especially those lamps, great stuff!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails