Monday, June 28, 2010

Motel Chairs Get A Makeover

Our old motel chairs were looking tired. The paint was oxidized and there were some rusty spots popping up. It was time for them to be repainted. The turquoise color of these chairs is perfect. For over a year, I searched for turquoise spray paint but I couldn't find any. The color selection for spray paint is pitiful! It was time to go ahead and paint them in the best color I could find.
Before painting, I went over the chairs with an electric sander to roughen up the paint and remove all of the rust. Then I primed the chairs and painted them in their new color...
                           
                                                                                                            .....lime green.
I also painted this red chair pink. The pink chair still needs another coat of paint, but I'm not sure about the color. Before I add another coat of pink paint, I want to make sure it's really the color I want. 
There are two more chairs just like it that also need to be painted. I think it would look better to have the chairs in at least two different colors, rather than paint all of them lime green. I love the color combination of lime green and red. I think I may paint the other two chairs red and keep this chair pink.
I also have this vintage metal glider. The paint isn't perfect, but it is in much better shape than the chairs. I will probably leave the glider as it is for now.

9 comments:

1950's_atomic_ranch_house said...

Ooooh I wish I had even one of those wonderful metal chairs!

Midcenturymadam said...

I love the colors. Lime green is my favorite. What a colorful yard you must have. I hope you'll post more pictures when you're finished.

Anonymous said...

Love the lime, not so thrilled with the pink. Maybe the second coat will pick up the pink! You are right about the glider. It is hard to paint. Is there a coral spray paint? Probably not. Yellow might be pretty. I saw retro gliders at Lowe's in yellow and green.

Jennie@Wedgwood Tulsa said...

I saw those retro gliders at Lowe's, too. They had a little table that matched. I wanted to get it, but didn't. I promise to post more pictures when I've finished painting all of the chairs. It not be until summer's over, though.

Darlene said...

OMG> I love the old metal chairs and gliders. NICE redos!

I also love the old adirondack chairs from the 20s...

Mick said...

I love me some lawn chairs! Mostly these post war and pre war models! Paint looks great the only thing id wonder is if that pink would fade fast in the hot Oklahoma sun?

Straight Talking Mama! said...

These look fabulous! We can't get these over in the UK, well we can get the repro ones shipped but I enquired and I think I would need to win the lottery ;o) In the meantime I shall look lovingly on yours!!

Space Commander said...

Oh I feel your pain about the paint selections. I'm in the same boat with my two metal lawn chairs. Nobody has the right shade that these chairs are begging for.

Your collection is fab though!

Mike in OKC said...

I am pretty sure that you can get any color you want in spray paint.

Go to an automotive paint and bodywork store.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails