Monday, June 14, 2010

Flea Market Finds

Wow, I have really gotten behind on blog posting! Here are my flea market finds from two weekends ago. I bought nothing but records. Of all the records I got, my favorites are Bobby Darin's debut album and the Coker Family 45s. The Bobby Darin album was one that I didn't already have, so I was happy to find it for such a great price and in such good condition. The Coker Family record is interesting because the sleeve isn't your average picture sleeve. It opens into three sections, each containing a 45 by individual members of the Coker Family Band, Alvis, Alvadean, and Sandy. I also got a couple of 45s by Larry Williams, and one by Little Richard, both on the Specialty label, and albums by The Everly Brothers, Wynn Stewart, and Connie Francis.
Another usual record I got was a 45 by Dwayne Hickman called "School Dance." Yes, the actor Dwayne Hickman, who is best known for his role as Dobie Gillis on one of my favorite shows of all-time, The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis. I had to get this record to hear how it sounded.
Before I came across this record, I never knew Dwayne Hickman had a singing career. It's not the best song I've ever heard, but it's fun to have just for novelty's sake. Following the success of Ricky Nelson on the Ozzie and Harriet Show, every young actor on television had to follow suit. None had the level of talent or love of music that Ricky had, so they never experienced the same success that Ricky had in his long musical career.






2 comments:

1950's_atomic_ranch_house said...

Now see... If I started to buy records, then I'd have to by a vintage record player.

I've just got to draw the line somewhere!

But I can enjoy yours. =)

icicular said...

Hey, you wanna get rid of them Specialty records? Wink wink nudge nudge. - JD

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails