Tuesday, May 18, 2010

By Request

You asked for it. Here are a few photos of our completed living room with furniture. The new floor tile has been installed, the drapes have been modified to fit the lower floor height, and the furniture has been placed back into the room. It looks better in person than in these photos, I think. I wasn't using the "good" camera and that probably has something to do with it. In person, the furniture doesn't look like it's floating the way it does in the photos. 
While I'm posting about the furnished room, I'll tell you about the furniture itself. It's all vintage from the 1950s. The coral-pink chair was a thrift store find. It looks like Heywood Wakefield, but it isn't. I've had it since I was about 18 years old. After I paid for the chair, I wasn't sure if it would fit in my car, a 1962 Beetle convertible. I put the top down and set the chair in the back seat, sticking up in the back and drove it home. It cost only $15. At the time, it had the original upholstery, which was a fabulous pale pink with threads of metallic gold, green, and black. When I had it reupholstered, I did my best to find a similar fabric. It's a different shade of pink, but it has a similar texture, but no gold thread, unfortunately. Someone really should make 1950s style reproduction fabrics with metallic threads!
We found the sectional sofa at an estate sale in our neighborhood. The original fabric looked terrible and the cushions were rock hard. No one else wanted it. We got it for $10 and had it reupholstered.
The rest of the furniture is vintage Heywood-Wakefield finished in wheat. There is a revolving top cocktail table, a square cocktail table with a "Sculptura" style base, a lamp table, china hutch, and wishbone dining table with dog-bone chairs.

6 comments:

Elecat said...

Very cool! LOVE the size of that window. You're very controlled. I love retro but I can't stick to an era, lol! Though, I think that some of my things would fit into your house perfectly.... I think that a rug would cosy up the space a little, but then again, why would you want to cover your new floor? :)

1950's_atomic_ranch_house said...

Oh wow WOW! I love looking at finished rooms because I'm still so far off!

Wonderful inspiration! I love it!

1950's_atomic_ranch_house said...

Oh, can we see a photo with the curtains open? I have huge windows like that as well, but is yours one big window, or are you covering several windows with one curtain?

Trying to see what your view is as well! Is it pointing to the front or back yard like mine?

75Heather said...

Looks awesome! Who does your reupholstering? Do you know if they do any furniture repair? I've got a sweet vintage sofa with these beautiful carved legs... that broke off. Boo!

Wedgwood Tulsa said...

Heather,

Midwest Upholstery at 29th & Yale reupholstered nearly every piece of upholstered furniture in the house. I've never had them repair any furniture, but I think they do. Once, a woman who works there showed me the work they were doing on some of her own furniture. I think they were repairing some of the wooden pieces. They've done a really good job on my furniture.

75Heather said...

Thanks! I'll be sure to check them out.

BTW, I *flove* your house!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails