Monday, March 1, 2010

Flea Market Finds

As usual, I went to the flea market at the fairgrounds on Saturday. I often go home empty handed, but this time I bought a few things. 
First, I found some 50s barkcloth. I love the abstract pattern, plus chartreuse and salmon pink are two of my favorite colors. I didn't have a use for the fabric mind when I bought it. At the price of $3, there was no way I was going to pass it up. When I brought it home, I immediately saw how well it coordinated with the salmon pink chair and unfinished curtains in the living room. This fabric will be perfect for throw pillows. 
Then, I found this Tune Tote for 45 rpm records. It's made by Ponytail, a company that made vinyl teenage themed items such as photo albums, keepsake boxes, banks, and lunchboxes. The Tune Tote seems to have been one of their more popular items. I see them somewhat frequently in antique shops, but they are usually in bad shape. 


There is a song index on the inside. It looks like the girl who originally owned it acquired it in the late 1950s. She filled in the index with the records she kept inside. The carrier once held records by Ricky Nelson, Elvis Presley, Annette Funicello, Frankie Avalon, and Duane Eddy. I actually own a lot of these records. Maybe I should put them in my new Tune Tote.   


I also bought a leaf-shaped goldtone pin from the 1960s. It reminded me of a pin Joan wore on Mad Men. Unfortunately, I lost the pin before I even got a chance to photograph it. Hopefully, it fell off somewhere in the house or the car. 

2 comments:

Midcenturymadam said...

I love the pattern on the barkcloth. Can't wait to see the throw pillows.
I remember those Tune Totes. I think I may have had one. What a fun find.
Hope you find your pin.

Jamie said...

Love the Tune tote. Had one just like it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails