Friday, January 29, 2010

Psychedelic Foil Wallpaper

Readers, I need your opinion. My husband and I are preparing to remove the psychedelic silver foil wallpaper in one of our bathrooms. We have intended to tear out the wallpaper since the day we bought the house. However, now that it's time, I'm feeling uncertain about it. I would like some input from you. Should we tear out the wallpaper?
This wallpaper was put in the bathroom in the early '70s. It's silver foil with groovy pink and white swirls. Although it's nearly 40 years old, it's in excellent condition. Should we keep the wallpaper because it's cool and unusual?
Or, should it go because it doesn't match the '50s design in the rest of the house? Does the loud design compete too much with the bold atomic pattern in the barkcloth curtains? Is that a good enough reason to tear it out? 
So, tell me what you think. Should the wallpaper stay or go?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it would be a tragedy to tear it out.

Elecat said...

I think I like it but I can see your dilemma. Is the ceiling green or is that just the photo? If it is, then paint it white to lighten it up and then.... maybe? Sorry that I wasn't much help. lol. :)

Jon said...

That's great wallpaper, but it really doesn't go with what you're doing. I'm completely undecided. Incidentally, I love your blog. And your house.

Jamie said...

I really hate to admit this. It truly does not go with the rest of the room. It is cool and unusual, but the wrong decade. Even though it is very nice, it looks out of place. I think you would be happier if you replaced it with something from the 50s. Having said that, I still hate to see it go. ; )

Anonymous said...

the wallpaper is the coolest thing about that room. i would keep it and change the rest.

Anonymous said...

I would keep. I think it works with the colors. Very cool.

-ella

Anonymous said...

Keep the wallpaper. Once it's gone...it's gone. I think it's okay to deviate from the 50s theme for a really unique feature.

The Queen of Fifty Cents said...

Unlike the rest of your commenters... I'd get rid of it in a heartbeat! The fabric of the curtains is great and I would play that up. The swirly wallpaper is a distraction. Perhaps I don't respect the Seventies like I should, but my guess is you'll never regret taking it out!

Michelle said...

Keep! It may not be period correct, but that's ok. Would you rather have something unusual you can't find anymore...or...a run of the mill look of a white wall? Once the wallpaper starts to go, it can always be torn out at a later date. I like the pattern of the barkcloth against the swirly shades. Contrast in patterns is good as long as the color family is similar. :-) But that's just me. You guys should go with your gut feeling, after all, you have to look at it every day, not us.

:-p

Let us know what you decide on!

Cincinnati Modernation said...

I would leave it, and paint the ceiling.

Dusty said...

Keep the wallpaper only if you are the type to combine the weird and wacky of everything (say) pre-1974 together. Some people have decor like this and it works perfectly for them. With what you're doing (a more purist look) - I might ditch it.

p.s./ Love your blog! Love it all!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails